I work in the EEG-CON project which investigates the neural integration of gesture and speech using simultaneous EEG and fMRI. Before moving to Marburg, I received my dual Masters degree ‘European Master of Clinical Linguistics’ (EMCL) from Bicocca-Milano (IT), Groningen (NL), and Potsdam (DE). In October 2016, I received my PhD in linguistics from Mainz University (DE) with Matthias Schlesewsky.
Currently, my research focuses on the comprehension of speech and gesture in both healthy and clinical populations. Additionally, I am also interested in sentence processing as well as the neurobiological basis of language comprehension.
PI of a DFG project about Multi-stage integration during co-speech gesture comprehension: a systematic investigation combining EEG and fMRI
1. Straube B, Wroblewski A, Jansen A, He Y. The connectivity signature of co-speech gesture integration: The superior temporal sulcus modulates connectivity between areas related to visual gesture and auditory speech processing. Neuroimage. 2018;181: 539–549. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2018.07.037
2. He Y, Nagels A, Schlesewsky M, Straube B. The Role of Gamma Oscillations During Integration of Metaphoric Gestures and Abstract Speech. Front Psychol. 2018;9: 1–11. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01348
3. Cuevas P, Steines M, He Y, Nagels A, Culham J, Straube B. The facilitative effect of gestures on the neural processing of semantic complexity in a continuous narrative. Neuroimage. 2019;195: 38–47. doi:10.1016/J.NEUROIMAGE.2019.03.054
4. He Y, Steines M, Sommer J, Gebhardt H, Nagels A, Sammer G, et al. Spatial – temporal dynamics of gesture – speech integration : a simultaneous EEG-fMRI study. Brain Struct Funct. 2018;223: 3073–3089. doi:10.1007/s00429-018-1674-5
5. He Y, Gebhardt H, Steines M, Sammer G, Kircher T, Nagels A, et al. The EEG and fMRI signatures of neural integration: An investigation of meaningful gestures and corresponding speech. Neuropsychologia. 2015;72: 27–42. doi:10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2015.04.018
6. He Y, Steines M, Sammer G, Nagels A, Kircher T, Straube B. Action-Related Speech Modulates Beta Oscillations During Observation of Tool-Use Gestures. Brain Topogr. 2018;31: 838–847. doi:10.1007/s10548-018-0641-z
7. He Y, Gebhardt H, Rondinone I, Straube B. The Missing Power: Language Mediates Sensorimotor-related Beta Oscillations during On-line Comprehension of Different Types of Co-speech Gesture. TiGeR. Tilburg; 2013. pp. 1–4. Available: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236736519_The_Missing_Power_Language_Mediates_Sensorimotor-related_Beta_Oscillations_during_On-line_Comprehension_of_Different_Types_of_Co-speech_Gesture?ev=prf_pub
8. Straube B, He Y, Steines M, Gebhardt H, Kircher T, Sammer G, et al. Supramodal neural processing of abstract information conveyed by speech and gesture. Front Behav Neurosci. 2013;7. doi:10.3389/fnbeh.2013.00120
9. He, Y., Lüll, S., Muralikrishnan, R., Straube, B., & Nagels, A. (accepted). Gesture’s body orientation modulates the N400 for visual sentences primed by gestures. Human Brain Mapping
10. He, Y., Steines, M., Sammer, G., Nagels, A., Kircher, T., Straube, B. (accepted). Modality-specific dysfunctional neural processing of social-abstract and non-social-concrete information in schizophrenia. NeuroImage: Clinical
11. Cuevas, P.*, He, Y.*, Steines, M. & Straube, B.* (accepted). The processing of semantic complexity and co-speech gestures in schizophrenia: a naturalistic, multimodal fMRI study. Schizophrenia Bulletin Open *contributed equally PrePrint